UNITY OF BELLEVUE TIMELINE HISTORY FROM 1959 TO THE PRESENT
Unity of Bellevue began in 1959 as an outreach program of Unity of Seattle, thanks to the energy and efforts of the Reverends Dorothy and Phil Pierson. The Piersons were ministers of that congregation. The Reverend Phil conducted the first Sunday service in the Chapel of Flowers, then located at the edge of Bellevue Square.
In January of 1960, Unity of Bellevue selected Dan Perin as the first full-time minister and the congregation moved to an old bank building on the corner of Main and 102nd in downtown Bellevue.
With long-range plans for a permanent spiritual home, church members in 1962 purchased the property of the present-day Unity of Bellevue site, on the northwest corner of NE 4th Street and 164th Avenue NE in the Crossroads area of Bellevue.
However, it wasn’t until five years later, in 1967 that construction on the present church building began. This was made possible when twenty-two families pledged $2,500 each to obtain a bank loan. Two years later, on June 8, 1969, the first service was conducted in the new sanctuary, with The Reverend Kay Arndt serving as minister.
In 1982, The Reverend Max Lafser was hired as the minister. He served until 1985, during which time the congregation grew. The church purchased a neighboring lot west of the church building, and continues to own this property today.
Over the years, the congregation has had as its Senior Ministers the Reverends Richard Everts, Michael Murphy, Linda Spencer, Nat Carter, Max Lafser (a second time), Patty Becker, John McLean and Nancy Worth.
In June 2009, the Unity of Bellevue held a Jubilee! celebrating “50 Years of Service.”
Unity of Bellevue is a member of Unity Worldwide Ministries.
We are affiliated with Unity located at Unity Village, MO.